Skip to main content

Silhouette of a woman

This day, we celebrate women. But, is it necessary to have pink flowers, red roses and teddy bears that we share on social media to show we recognise and celebrate womanhood?

Everywhere this day is recognised as a symbol of respect for women, but how many of us actually do know the meaning of womanhood?

Womanhood means being feisty to some, while for others, it is about being a damsel in distress.

When some women do try to portray womanhood in its true meaning, they are judged.

To me, the true meaning of womanhood is being bold, with grace. The sole act of being patient with who you love- your partner, when he is being insecure, your child, who is being notorious, or even your elders, when they're being hard on you.

Those who deal with their parents without revolting are judged and apparently have no opinion, and the ones that do put forth theirs, are mere rebels. When you forgive your partner for being insecure or speak to an ex even after a break up, you're desperate, and when you break it off with someone who tests your patience and questions your dignity, you have a 'mind of your own'. When you be gentle with your child, you are negligent, and when you're strict with them, you project your views.

Womanhood here, and anywhere else for that matter, refers to the mother that is behind all of your success, the sister that is your motivation and inspiration to do well, the teacher that shaped you into what you are now, and your better half, that is the breath of fresh air you need.
However, womanhood also refers to the girl who taught you that you can't have it all, the woman who loved you with all she had, even when you didn't. The woman who first made you realise who you are, as that's the true meaning of living.

Womanhood is not a word, lifestyle or a social concept. It's acceptance. Acceptance not only for yourself, but accepting others just as they are. Which is why even when you think the significant women in your life will judge you for something, you ultimately realise that they never would.

Therefore, this day is to be celebrated in whatever way you want to, because it is a celebration of you.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Touch

I’d never thought someone could ever replicate his touch. The way my heart pounded when he  touched me with his eyes, touched me from within. The kind of unrest- I called love. He invoked an unknown, vivid and restless fire inside of me. I couldn’t sit still when he was around, couldn’t do anything far related to calm. He was like the storm I had never experienced in life. It’s different now. I don’t feel the same way when I first started out, I was afraid. There was no fire, no storm. I was terrified- what if I don’t feel the same way about him , that way, the way I felt about him. I felt like the sea- calm, composed and really at peace. Like I have reached my horizon after miles of swaying, swimming and searching. Suddenly, my life is about me, and I feel like I want him , not need him . I was lying there, confused, about what I felt. Was the unrest that I felt love? Was the calm inside of me a sign of my incapability to love again? Or w...

Soldier

Somewhere inside of me, lies an imaginary soldier. This fierce, fearless soldier is ready to fight anyone, anything. Why bleed and contaminate the world with the filth of violence, when your inner soldier is ready to bleed thoughts and corrupt your mind. Demons or no demons, this soldier bleeds to make you live. Poker faces, funny laughter. You think there's no demon behind this fellow? Never were you, or will be so wrong! Just how the light makes its place in the darkness, and it is the dark that always prevails, our demons always will be beneath the fake and futile mask of happiness. Futile. Why futile? To be happy isn't futile. When a kid compares his father to Iron Man - that's happiness. However, when the father tries to show himself more to be like Iron Man when he actually feels like Batman? That's not happy. That's futile. That's when happy becomes futile. One can fight to achieve what they want. Provided when it's fighting others. But, when you h...

Frostbitten

There were days I spent thinking about the moments we shared Every memory, a dark side of you How I felt as if I were getting choked As you held me, my love, in those arms We were happy, you were happy My misery, somehow always a source of your amusement As I nodded my head in dismay, disgust And sometimes even pain You looked at me as if it were your gain You looked at me as if I were yours Blissful, for some But little did they know That as the Winter grew A chill went down this spine of mine Was it because I was cold? Even I didn't know Were these cold hands of yours on me A reflection of how frostbitten I could get by your touch Or were they indication That, oh, you loved me so much