Skip to main content

La Couronne

In a free lecture, our professor asked us what was the most ridiculous thing we had ever heard. A plethora of  comical comments came by. From vampires, to conspiracy theories, every statement a tad bit more laughable than the previous. However, nothing was to be compared to what I had in mind.

'It is easy to be the bearer of a crown, all the glam and none of the responsibility.' I chuckled.

Seldom in my life, have I ever met someone that respected my standing, and it was ironic because I was always taught that being a blue blood commands respect.
With the rise of the modern world, the divinity of my blood is nothing but mythology, and the greatness of my standing just a glorious part of history.

Bagehot classified the head of the state as 'the dignified' and 'the efficient'. The efficient weren't judged by knowledge of their blood and social standing, but we're celebrated, well, for their efficiency. Whereas, people like us, the titular head of the people, celebrated for what we stood for, what we supposedly 'signify'.

Time and again, the crown resting on my head has demanded me to take tough decisions. Repeatedly, the modern world and it's ways have questioned my place in it, and my integrity, for not everything is black and white, and not everyone succumbs to traditional ways.

As a kid, I always heard my grandpa say, " There is no voice above yours, but that of God. And as it is known to all, for me, and the likes of me, who do not believe in him, worship and celebrate you, our queen."

These words meant the world to me. The sense of supremacy they gave me, surpassed all limits mortals eyes could see, for I was considered divine.
I thought that I was the absolute, the sovereign that no one could challenge. I'll admit, it did aid my disbelief in God.

Eighteen years of my life, till the date of my coronation, I believed in my supremacy. However, the bubble burst, and I could finally see that the supreme nature of mine is an attribute of the jewel I so fancily wear on my head. And I? Nothing but an accessory to it.

My duty isn't to the men in my life, be it my father, my friend or my love. Not the women who so helped me grow, and not the kids I will have. My duty is to the solemn power that rules over not only them, but me as well.

In the two years of my 'reign', I have learnt that no head weighs more than the crown, not even mine. However, the only thing that gives mine leverage, is that fact that from the day I was born, the crown rests on it, despite of the vile attempts of people that intended to topple it over.
I find it safe to say, that my newfound rule, even though symbolic, symbolises not only supremacy, but also duty above all.

The only thing that leaves a bittersweet taste in my mind's palette is that however great may I become in the years of my reign, my lustre can not over shine the fact that the crown will always be on my head, and will always stand higher, and rest above my standing.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The monotony of being different

All my life I was told I am different. Sometimes it was appreciated, sometimes not so much.  I was told I had energy unparalleled, sometimes appreciated, other times not. Some people tell me how much they admired me, some said I couldn’t be understood.  Ever since I was a child, I was told being different is good.  In school, I was told different people tend to make better lives for themselves. In movies, I was shown that the protagonist is always, well, different.  These notions influenced my perspective towards life, making me crave the feeling of being different. Having said that, I was never treated like I was different, challenging my notion of me being “different”. However, sometime back I realized that I was never treated like I was different because no one wanted me to know how different I am.  Every time something nice happened to me, every time I said something exceptional, people tried to normalize how exceptional these things were. That is when I could understand how I coul

Privilege and Burden

The crown isn't just a mere ornament to be worn, it's a privilege and a burden.  For you sit with your head high, the crown embellished with precious stones, while the others bow. Privilege.  But, you can not look down, for even a slight tilt of the head, can make you lose the crown. Burden.  For you can wave and smile when thousands gather around to get just one glimpse of you. Privilege.  But you can't laugh your heart out when you find something funny in front of those same people. Burden.  But it's rare to find a person who can do both. The crown has the final say in everything yet the bearer of the crown doesn't have a voice.  But the true monarch can't be just anybody, because the bearer of the crown might be a puppet of these strings, but a monarch is one who controls everything. Smile when they have to, laugh when they want, hold their heads high when they have to but tilt their heads in disagreement when they want to.  Privilege and burden exist for tho

Circumscribe

For those who believe in themselves, it is a known fact that the key to success is acceptance. They like to believe that the world might not see them as they are, but it is their understanding of themselves that drives the world behind them. However, one would argue, what is success if you confine yourself within the very definition of you? How is it extraordinary to be what you are when the world is constantly asking for more? What makes you so distinct? What makes you think that it even matters what you feel about yourself? The world works on what is called the show business. One can never truly be honest and show themselves as they are, for that would mean showing the world your vulnerabilities, and that, in turn, makes you susceptible to defeat. So, the question prevails. Is it the fact that you accept yourself as you are and show the world what you are that drives your success? Or is it the face you put up, a mere illusion of you, that makes the world see half the truth, w